for the 240th ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, August 22-26, 2010
|Instructions for Authors|
|Preparing Your Abstract | Preprints | Abstract Review Process | After the Deadline | Checklist | Handbook for Speakers| OASYS Home|
Most divisions prefer to receive abstracts electronically. To prepare your abstract text you can do one of the following:
Steps to preparing your abstract:
1. If you prefer to type directly into the online form, write your abstract and enter it into the system later. If you are also including a single graphic with your abstract, you must save the graphic file in GIF or JPEG format (most chemical drawing software provides this capability). See the instructions for preparing graphics for OASYS submission.
2. If you prefer to upload your abstract as a file, create the abstract text file. Do not include author names or footnotes in the text. If you are including one or more graphics with your abstract text, save the file including the graphics as an HTML file in your word processor. Your graphics will be converted to the appropriate format for Web display. You must note the name of the graphic file(s) that is created and the location in order to save it in OASYS.
3. Collect your author names and complete affiliations. You will also need complete contact information, including an email address and phone number for the principal author.
4. Select the division and session you are submitting your abstract to in OASYS. You must submit and complete any changes before the deadline shown on the page.
5. Enter the abstract following the instructions in OASYS. If your division is collecting online extended abstracts or preprints you will be prompted to submit these in OASYS. If your division is collecting extended abstracts or preprints another way, please see the instructions on the Special Instructions page for submitting these manuscripts.
6. Each author who has included an email address when submitting the abstract will receive an email confirmation that the abstract has been submitted.
Styles to Observe
The abstract should be entered using the following style:
These divisions require the submission of a preprint in addition to an abstract:
Abstract Review Process
Submitting an abstract into an online symposium ensures that the right people receive your abstract.
|Symposium Organizer||The symposium organizer generally receives invited papers, but may also receive contributed papers depending on division guidelines. Organizers approve and order papers chronologically within a session, then forward their ordered sessions to the program chair. You will get electronic notification of your paper's acceptance once it has been approved.|
|Program Chair||Program chairs review ordered sessions from session organizers and may also collect contributed papers from authors, which are usually scheduled in general paper sessions. When the deadline arrives and all sessions have been submitted, the program chair orders them (into half-days, e.g., Sunday AM) and also numbers all papers in chronological order. You will receive electronic notice of when your paper is scheduled. If you wish to withdraw or change an abstract after a deadline, you should contact the program chair. You should also talk to the program chair if you have any questions about special audio visual equipment or room setup. Special equipment requests must be approved in advance by a program chair.|
|ACS Staff||After the program chairs have scheduled their programs, ACS staff edits the abstracts to conform to C&EN style. ACS staff process the papers to be published in final programs, in the abstract book, and as a searchable file through the ACS Personal Scheduler program.|
After the Deadline
After the call for papers deadline, you will no longer be able to modify your abstract yourself. Your session organizer or program chair may still be able to update your abstract (depending on the date), so if you have changes after the closing, please contact your program officials.
Learning whether your paper has been accepted
You can retrieve your abstract after the call for papers deadline and see whether it has been accepted. From the Author Abstract Submission Page , click View/Modify/Withdraw Abstract or Preprint and login on the next page using your ID and password. You will see whether your paper has been accepted, or whether it is still ungraded. Scheduling notices will be sent after 0000-00-00.
Please be sure to do the following before you present: